The Dottie R. Walker Scholarship LEAD Scholarship
Thank you for your interest in the Dottie R. Walker LEAD Foundation Scholarship (DRWS).
The LEAD Foundation sponsors this one-time $1,500.00 scholarship for a student with learning disabilities as defined by the Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA). The award is given in honor of Dottie R. Walker to a student in Colorado or Nevada, who serves as a role model for others, has succeeded in advocating for their education, and has developed strategies to meet his or her life goals.
To qualify for this one-time $1,500.00 scholarship, you must:
- Have a documented Specific Learning Disability (SLD) as defined by the LDA.
- Reside in the state of Colorado or Nevada.
- Plan to be enrolled full time in higher education in the coming year.
- A completed application.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor who is aware of your self-advocacy.
- Official, certified high school transcript.
- Proof of a SLD from a certified professional, IEP or 504.
Submissions must be postmarked by March 1.
The winner will be notified by May 1.
Again, thank you for your interest in this scholarship. We look forward to learning more about you.
The LEAD Foundation reserves the right to not award the scholarship in any year. Students who are enrolled in the LEAD Classroom Program, who are candidates for other LEAD Foundation scholarships are excluded from eligibility for this scholarship. Children of board members of the LEAD Foundation are excluded from eligibility for this scholarship. Monies will be distributed to the accredited school of the scholarship winner by August of the coming academic year. Scholarships may not be deferred to a subsequent year. Students are responsible for supplying the LEAD Foundation with all the information needed for the scholarship monies to be credited to their individual student account.
The LEAD Foundation appreciates hearing back from the students who have benefited from our scholarships. This communication helps donors understand the positive impact of their generosity. As a result, we encourage all scholarship recipients to write to us at the end of their first academic year with an update about their successes.
The LEAD Foundation is a 501c3 organization. All contributions are tax-deductible to the amount allowable by law.
- Download two copies of the application or make a copy. The first one should be your rough draft.
- Read all the instructions to be sure you understand what is being asked.
- Organize your thoughts.
- Be sure to respond to each part of the application. State your accomplishments clearly.
- Have a reader proof your application for spelling and grammar.
- Be truthful and speak from your heart.